Friday, June 23, 2023

Beware of Foxtails

Foxtails can be dangerous to dogs because their seed pods contain sharp, barbed structures that can easily penetrate a dog's skin, fur, and other body parts. These barbs allow the foxtails to become deeply embedded in the dog's skin or move inward if inhaled or ingested. Foxtails can pose a risk to dogs during the warmer months when the grasses that bear these seed pods are dry and begin to disperse their seeds. This typically occurs in late spring and throughout the summer. During this time, dogs can come into contact with foxtails while playing or walking in grassy areas. It's important to be vigilant and take preventive measures to minimize the chances of foxtail injuries, such as avoiding tall grasses and regularly inspecting your dog's coat, paws, ears, and nose for any signs of foxtails. Foxtails can cause a range of health issues, including skin infections, abscesses, and organ damage if they migrate to other parts of the body. Immediate medical attention is often required to remove and treat foxtails in dogs. If you are out on a trail, try to keep your dog away from the foxtails.