Monday, July 4, 2016

Be Careful With Treats on July 4th

July 4th pic 3

On July 4th,  it is very tempting to want to treat your pet to some of the holiday goodies.  Please be careful!  Foods such as hot dogs, baked beans, rolls and pie can be harmful to pets.  It is quite common for emergency animal clinics to be filled with dogs and cats suffering from a severe bout of pancreatitis during the holidays.  If your pet is prone to pancreatitis, give them extra Lypozyme for improved fat digestion and use lower fat treats such as fish and vegetables.
The following foods should not be given to pets:
* Chocolate
* Grapes or raisins
* Onions (cooked or raw)
* Sweets (cookies, pie, etc.)
* Rolls/bread (many pets are allergic to gluten)
* High fat foods such as butter and ice cream
* Cooked bones (they can cause choking and tearing in the GI tract)

Feeding pets raisins and chocolate is strongly discouraged and considered harmful due to the toxic substances present in these foods for animals, particularly dogs.

Raisins and grapes can lead to severe kidney damage in dogs, even in relatively small amounts. The exact compound responsible for the toxicity is not yet identified, and the reaction can vary among individual dogs. Ingesting raisins or grapes can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, and, in severe cases, it may lead to kidney failure, which can be fatal.