Friday, October 25, 2013

Halloween Warning For Your Pet

Trick or Treat...Halloween is coming and with it, we need to use extra caution to keep our pets safe. Keeping cats and dogs away from the candy and gum is essential.  Although these may be sweet treats for us, they are not  for your pet. 

Any candy with chocolate can be toxic for pets and so is gum if it contains Xylitol.  Some pets will do anything for a tasty snack, and extra care should be taken as many treats could make them sick.  It is so easy to leave a pack of gum or candy sitting out on the counter or on a car seat.  Xylitol can have fast, fatal consequence, it can cause a drop in blood sugars (acute hypoglycemia) and/or liver failure.    Be sure to keep your candy and gum in a secure location that is inaccessible to your pet.  Also, make sure any  little human goblins are aware of the risk to your pet, so that they don't share a treat that may be dangerous.  This will help ensure that Halloween is a treat for all!