Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cat with Chronic Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)

Q: About this topic (pets with chronic UTIS), I am having a similar problem with my 8 year old male cat, but he had oxalate stones earlier this year, and surgery to remove them, and is now on Hills C/D and has had chronic UTI's only since being on this food. I want to switch him off to a grain free quality food (like Wellness) but am concerned if this would cause new oxalate stones to form. The effectiveness of Hills C/D has not been proven to me yet - although he has not had additional oxalate stones. Any advice?

Y: We have had exceptional success helping cats and dogs prevent UTIs and stone development but it requires a complete holistic program involving dietary changes AND supplements---they go hand in hand. There is a lot you can do to help your cat using a hypoallergenic, low carbohydrate diet. Good nutrition can greatly help but you also need to get your cat on a regular supplement regime to ensure that the UTIs do not reoccur. There is not a simple answer to address the diet and supplements since typical programs for preventing UTIs include supplements such as cranberry that might acidify the urine and calcium oxalate stones grow in an acidic environment so you need to be VERY CAREFUL. Also, some pets have a tendency to get stones and so switching to a diet that prevents oxalate stones might then result in the formation of struvite stones. The secret is finding a balance and identifying the foods your kitty is allergic to. Also, there are supplements that would help regardless. These include Renelix, Amazing Omegas and Probiotic.

As far as the diet, I would need to work with you in detail to discuss the foods you can try and use based on your kitty's preferences. There is not one diet you can readily use and ideally some homemade food should be mixed in. You are right to be cautious and concerned as just using any commercial diet, including Hills C/D will not be the perfect answer--a more comprehensive approach is needed. Thus, a consultation via inperson or telephone appointment is recommended.