Friday, October 19, 2012

With Halloween approaching, please be extra careful to keep the candy and gum away from pesky paws.  Many pets will leap and stretch to reach some of our favorite snacks.  Any candy with chocolate is toxic for pets and so is gum if it contains Xylitol.  It is easy to leave a pack of gum sitting out on the counter or on a car seat.    Xylitol can have fast, fatal consequences because it can cause a precipitous drop in blood sugar (acute hypoglycemia) and/or liver failure.  Keeping the candy and gum stored in a secure cabinet will ensure that you and your pet have a safe and happy Halloween together!