Friday, July 21, 2017

Five Reasons NOT To Feed Cheese To Your Pet

Cheese is a treat that many pet owners enjoy and assume it is ok to give their pets.  If your pet is having any scratching, itching, digestive problems such as loose stool, gas, vomiting, eye tearing, ear infections or has pancreatitis, diabetes, elevated liver enzymes, kidney disease, or is overweight (phew!--the list goes on and on), then it's best to avoid it.  Here is why:

1) Dairy is a big allergen that weakens immunity in many pets


Even cheese that is organic or made from goat's milk can be problematic for allergic pets.  Many treats and pet foods contain dairy and cheese so read the labels carefully.  If your pet displays any signs of itching, scratching, ear infections or digestive problems, AVOID CHEESE (and all dairy products!).
If your pet has allergies,  AllerEaze and Power Probiotic 
can provide fast relief of allergy symptoms.

2) Cheese is hard to digest and can cause vomiting and diarrhea in some pets


Many pets have unexplained vomiting and diarrhea and pet owners may conclude it is just "how the pet is".  Vomiting and diarrhea can be symptoms of a much deeper problem such as inflammatory bowel disease and these symptoms need to be monitored closely.  One of the biggest culprits for digestive problems are occasional treats containing food allergens such as cheese or wheat.

If your pet has loose stool, vomiting, diarrhea, your pet may have food allergies or acid stomach.  Gastro ULC and Power Probiotic can relieve acid stomach and digestive enzymes such as the Soothing Digestive Relief will firm up the stool.

3) Cheese is high in fat and can provoke a pancreatitis attack. 


Sometimes pets may be eating a low-fat diet for pancreatitis and yet the pet owner is using cheese to "hide" pills as a treat.  Instead of cheese, try using canned pet food or a lower fat alternative.

If your pet has pancreatitis, it is essential to use Lypozyme and/or the Pancreatitis Kit to aid digestion and the metabolism of fats and protein.

4) Cheese is highly caloric and can cause pets to gain weight. 


The majority of cats and dogs are overweight.  Keeping your pet at the ideal weight will extend their life and the time you can spend with them.  Excess weight can lead to health conditions such as diabetes, fatty liver, cancer and more.  Instead of cheese, use low fat treats such as fish-based treats, vegetables or a piece of lean meat.

5) Cheese contains lactose (milk sugar) which feeds yeast overgrowth and bacterial infections

If your pet has an odor, is licking at the groin area or is getting yeast infections in the ears, sugar is the worst food you can give them.  Besides being a potential allergen, the cheese and mold enable the yeast to grow faster and stronger.  It is not unusual for a pet to be given a piece of cheese or peanut butter and develop a yeast infection the very next day.  Feed a fresh raw frozen diet or low carbohydrate canned food for best results if your pet has yeast.   K9 Yeast Defense and Power Probiotic have been extremely helpful in controlling yeast overgrowth. 
Post a Comment